When the team asked me to write a blog post about what I would eat at Dominos, I thought they were joking. I mean, don’t get me wrong – the one thing I really miss in my clean diet is a killer piece of pizza: operative phrase here is “killer”, and not in the way that Dominos will actually kill you.
Ok, so it isn’t all doom and gloom – no food will actually take you out that day except, again, the Heart Attack Grill – that place really has it going on as far as killing off patrons mid-meal! It’s just that if you’re going to eat pizza, you can do a lot better than one of the major chains.
Why? Let me count the ways these pizzas are an affront to Italians (or is it Chinese?) everywhere.
- Soybean oil: You just don’t need to eat this as its a natural inflammation causing bugger – olive oil is a far better option. It’s also more expensive, so… we get soybean oil. It’s everywhere, usually in the crust and most marinara sauces.
- BHT: Butylated Hydroxytoluene is nearly always in pepperoni. And also in embalming fluid. And jet fuel. Yum.
- MSG: You won’t find it on any ingredient lists from major chains because they’re super good at hiding it. Dominos is actually pretty solid here – you can only really find it in their Philly Steak (where it’s disguised as hydrolyzed soy and corn proteins). The truth is the FDA has some pretty massive loopholes (our government – always looking out for us!), and whenever you see the following, you’re really seeing hidden MSG:
- Hydrolyzed Corn
- Autolyzed Yeast Extract
- Textured or Hydrolyzed Proteins
- Modified Starches
There’s many more – in fact, you can find nitrites, artificial flavors and colors, even some trans fats in most chain pizzas these days. It just isn’t necessary.
Ok, so now that we’ve established that we probably shouldn’t eat at any of these places, what do you do if you find yourself with a couple of buddies, late on a Saturday and you have a hankering for some greasy comfort food? At the risk of never being invited over again – but living longer – here is what you can eat at Dominos:
- Gluten-free crust: Good for them, this is actually not terrible. Fairly clean ingredient list except for Calcium Propinate, which isn’t ideal.
- No cheese: Sorry – there is just isn’t anything good that comes from dairy – at least not their dairy.
- Robust Inspired Tomato Sauce: Again, with the exception of Soybean oil, this is very clean.
- Load up on the veggies: Peppers, onions, green olives, mushrooms, oregano, spinach.
So indeed, this is less a ‘pizza’ and more a ‘flat disc of temperance inspired by the artist formerly known as pizza.’All this said, Dominos is at least one of the chains that actually publishes their ingredients online, and they are making strides to clean up their menu and are using some pretty impressive tech. So credit is due – it’s just that in any major pizza chain around the US these days, you are going to get what you pay for